Starting today and the next EIGHT days The Epsom and Ewell Times will publish details of each of the NINE BIG plans for Epsom and Ewell. These plans are proposed in the DRAFT LOCAL PLAN that is out for public consultation till 17th March. We do not intend to state any support or opposition but may ask some questions.
Hook Road Car Park and SGN Site
This near 12 acres site comprises a public car park, retail units, an education establishment and a utilities site containing redundant gas holders.
The site is to be allocated for a comprehensive residential led mixed use development, comprising:
- At least 640 new homes
- Student Accommodation (potential for about 400 student rooms)
- Mixed use ground floor active frontages accommodating space for office, retail and creative start-ups
- Performing Arts Centre
- Building heights ranging between 2 and 7 storeys
- Two-level podium parking (i.e., parking underneath a building) with smart technology solution allowing different users to access spaces at different times of the day/evening
- Provision of a new public square adjacent to the leisure centre entrance
- A neighbourhood park in the heart of the development with direct connection to the existing Public Rights of Way network
- Relocated SGN (the gas company formerly known as Scotia Gas Networks) infrastructure
- Improved public realm and connectivity within the site and to adjoining areas
The reasons for the plans are to regenerate this brownfield site in a highly sustainable location that is currently unattractive and under-utilised. Its successful regeneration is important for the success and attractiveness of the town centre.
There is the opportunity to redevelop the site into a prominent, high-density, mixed-use development, which would result in an improved, attractive and better utilised environment to the eastern gateway of the town centre. New development would offer the opportunity for a better connected and rejuvenated area that would attract new residents and businesses to Epsom Town Centre.
When will the site be developed?
It is expected that a planning application will be submitted for the comprehensive redevelopment of the main site in the early part of the plan period with development likely to start by 2029.
Council Officers will be available to speak to you in person at the following places
- Tuesday 21 February 14:30 – 19:30, Bourne Hall, Azalea room
- Wednesday 22 February 10:30 – 15:30, Community & Wellbeing Centre, Sefton Road
- Saturday 25 February 11:00 – 16:00, Ashley Centre, Central Square
- Tuesday 28 February 10:30 – 15:30, Community & Wellbeing Centre, Sefton Road
Epsom & Ewell Borough Council Draft Local Plan. Details how to submit your views.
Local Plan battle heating up? and other related reports.