The countdown to Christmas is here! Epsom & Ewell Borough Council and Bourne Hall are bringing Christmas cheer to winter days for residents and visitors. Festivities begin with the Christmas Lights Switch On in Epsom Market Square on 24 November, and at Bourne Hall on 9 December; followed by a week of family fun at Bourne Hall from 9 – 16 December. Free parking days in Epsom & Ewell town centres will help with Christmas shopping, and The Wizard of Oz panto will be spreading some Christmas panto magic at Epsom Playhouse.
Councillor Clive Woodbridge, (RA Ewell Village) Chair of the Community & Wellbeing Committee, said “We are looking forward to Christmas festivities in Epsom & Ewell this year, starting with the Epsom Christmas Lights Switch On.
“The Switch On would not be possible without the support of local charities and community groups. I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has worked so hard to make it possible for us to hold the event this year. I hope everyone is able to enjoy spending time with friends and family this holiday season”.
Epsom Christmas Lights Switch On
Friday 24 November, 4pm – 9pm. Epsom Market Square. Free event.
· The switch on will take place at 6.30pm.
· Family fun, festive food and drink, live music and more. This event is held in partnership with local charities and community groups.
A Jolly Good Christmas at Bourne Hall
9 – 16 December (excl. 10 December) 10am – 5pm plus evening events (times vary).
To book tickets, visit: www.bournehall.org
Bourne Hall Christmas Lights Switch On.
Saturday 9 December, 10am – 5pm. Free event.
- A day of festive fun including performances from local dance schools.
- 4.30pm: The Mayor of Epsom & Ewell switches on the Christmas lights at Bourne Hall.
Meet Father Christmas.
Saturday 9 & 16 December, 10am – 4pm. Free event.
- No pre-booking required.
All week, 9 – 16 December (excl. 10 December), 10am – 4pm. Free event.
- Father Christmas will be there on 9 & 16 December. On other days, visit the beautiful grotto at Bourne Hall and post him a letter in the Bourne Hall post box.
Monday 11 December & Friday 15 December. 7 – 9pm. £60pp (price includes a drink).
- Learn how to create your own beautiful Christmas wreath with Jade Sibly, using flowers and foliage from Hook Heath Flower Farm.
Christmas Cake Decorating Workshop.
Tuesday 12 December, 5.30 – 7pm. Free event.
- Discover how to pipe, shape and accessorise your cake to create your own Christmas showstopper with Anita Chappel, Bourne Hall’s Head Chef.
Wednesday 13 December, 7 – 8pm. Free event.
- As the year ends, enjoy age-old tales and seasonal superstitions from the cold heart of winter. Brought to you by Bourne Hall Museum’s curator, Jeremy Harte.
Family screening of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (PG).
Thursday 14 December, 6 – 8.30pm. Free event.
- A heart-warming tale for all ages.
Saturday 16 December, 11am – noon & 1pm – 2pm. Free event.
- Enjoy festive snacks and drinks whilst listening to acoustic music in the Flying Saucer Café.
The Wizard Of Oz – Panto 2023
Friday 15th December 2023 to Monday 1st January 2024
To book tickets, visit: www.epsomplayhouse.co.uk
- Join Dorothy as she begins her adventure into the wonderful land of Oz, helped along the way by Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow. A show filled with excitement, laughter and all the usual panto magic.
Find out about events in Epsom & Ewell over the festive period here: https://epsom-ewell.gov.uk/visitors/whats-on/all
Find information about car parks managed by Epsom & Ewell Borough Council here: https://epsom-ewell.gov.uk/car-parks
- Epsom: Epsom & Ewell Borough Council car parks will be free on 10, 17, 24 and 25 December.
- Ewell High Street and Dorset House car parks will be free from 4pm on Friday 8th December until 7am the following day for Ewell Yule.
Changes to council services
Waste and refuse services:
- During the Christmas and New Year’s weeks, collections must accommodate the public holidays, and at a time when bins are much fuller than usual. So, some services may not be available as usual, and your normal collection day may change.
- All planned changes can be found here: https://epsom-ewell.gov.uk/residents/recycling-and-waste/christmas-and-new-year-collections
- Christmas week: there will be no refuse collections during Christmas week. Please leave out food and recycling (including glass recycling) only. During Christmas week, collection days may change. Please check the Epsom & Ewell Borough Council website for recycling and food bin collection days during Christmas week.
- New Year’s week: Normal refuse collections start again in New Year’s week. However, collection days may change. Please check the Epsom & Ewell Borough Council website for collection days during New Year’s week.
- Before Christmas, Epsom & Ewell Borough Council will place a label on resident’s bin handles with collection details for the festive period. If you are an Epsom & Ewell resident, please do look out for this reminder about how services will be changing in your road over Christmas and New Year’s weeks.
Community Support Services will be affected. Please check this page to find out opening times and days that services will be closed over the Christmas period: https://epsom-ewell.gov.uk/support-services
In January Epsom & Ewell Borough Council offer free real Christmas tree recycling for all residents. This is a fortnightly service – check your Christmas bin label for details of when real Christmas tree collections happen in your road.